visual exploration

April 7, 2010

The picture on the left is a picture I found online of a busker in a subway station, playing guitar, while the one on the right is of my guitar and bass guitar, leaning on a wall featuring posters of some of my favorite bands.  In the first picture, while this particular gentleman seems to be looking towards the camera, what I find most interesting about buskers is their lack of interest in their surroundings. Countless times I’ve seen buskers either in the subway or on the streets so absorbed in their craft that they’re seemingly oblivious to what’s happening around them. I remember in high school seeing a woman jump onto the train tracks to recover a dropped glove. Of course, a train came into view speeding in her direction. She was unaware, and everyone on the platform within view shouted to her to get off the tracks, a train was coming her way. There was a bit of panic as she struggled to get back on the platform as the train bore down on her, but she did make it safely, moments before the train braked into the station. In the midst of all this commotion and high drama, there sat an elderly Asian man playing a pipa, his eyes never diverted from his instrument, his attention never directed at anything but the beautiful sounds he was creating. I bet he didnt even know what was happening around him. By that same token, I’m sure most of the people on the platform didn’t notice he was there to begin with. Such is the life of a busker; playing music to a chaotic world, hoping someone will listen, but not bothered if no one does. That’s why I’m doing my final project on the history of busking.

The lady didn’t get her glove.